Fall it is the time of year when friends and family gather at the big game, tailgate, or party to cheer on their favorite professional or college football team! Being surrounded by an abundance of foods and beverages can be overwhelming when your goal is to eat healthier. The key is to balance your options and eat a variety of healthy foods by consuming a combination of Proteins (such as chicken, fish, eggs, Greek yogurt), Fats (such as olive oil, nut/nut butters, cheese), and Carbohydrates (such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains). Being mindful of portion sizes is also essential!
At the next game or party, try these healthy options:
- Chicken quesadilla made with whole wheat tortilla, shredded chicken, salsa, and cheddar cheese – provides fiber, protein, and fat to keep you satisfied throughout the entire game!
- Edamame – Sprinkle lightly with salt for a protein packed snack!
- Turkey chili made with lean ground turkey and black and/or kidney beans – Great for a brisk fall day to warm you up and provides protein to keep you full!
- Roasted buffalo cauliflower –Provides all the spice and heat while being significantly lower in calories compared to chicken wings
- Mixed vegetables dipped in hummus or guacamole – Both packed with healthy fats for a nutritious touchdown!
Tip – Watch alcohol intake! Liquid calories can add up quickly. Stick to one drink for women and two drinks for men and hydrate throughout with plenty of water!
Include some of these healthy food options at the next game, tailgate, or party and it will be a sure win with your family and friends. You will be the MVP of healthy eating!
Stefanie Marczuk, MS, RD, LDN
Registered Dietitian, Inspire Nutrition Inc.